11 February 2018

Second Thoughts ~ Shared Advent Anniversary

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you, Dear Reader.

I have always found it fascinating when folks share a birthday.  I am privileged to share my birthday with my closest friend, my pastor, and a young friend who works hard to serve his country and be a good father.  I just learned yesterday that I share my birthday with Steph, who is a best friend of a dear friend.

My close friend, Michael, who is eight years my senior, crafts amazing birthday greetings each year that he writes on New Year’s Day.  This year it was especially good: “Each grain of sand waits in the future to fall through the pinch of the present into the past.  Today those grains of the present mark the advent of your presence in the journey with us.  The Management made those grains beautiful and bright because he gave us you as a unique gift to the world.  We celebrate you with lifted voice and lifted glass.  We join you in the dance within the pinch and thank the Management for your partnership in the journey.  Revel on knowing that you are loved.”

I like the idea of sharing my birthday with people I know and love.  If I choose to live my life in a way that every human matters, I must celebrate their lives.  If I could work my will in the world everyone would feel loved and celebrated on his or her “advent anniversary”. 

My pastor is perhaps one of the most humble men I know. His commitment to lead us with that humility in the foreground is very encouraging.  His example and love for us is clear in all that he does.

As I close this day marking my fiftieth year I do so with great gratitude.  I am working to get to the place where love and gratitude are the focus of all that I value.  I see how much my family loves me.  I see that vast ocean of friends that I have and their value in my life.  I hope that when your birthday comes that you too feel valued and loved Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment