26 June 2013

Issues I must address - First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

It is necessary to be clear from the outset of this maelstrom that I am not telling anyone else what to think.  I am, however, trying to be transparent in who I am in terms of some social issues.  I believe that followers of Jesus must address social issues if they are to have any voice in spiritual matters.

Please know that I start off with this premise:  I love everyone.  It is assumed that when one takes certain positions on some issues that they are hateful, racist, or judgmental.  I assure you that as I address each issue I am none these things as it relates to those issues. 

It is more important that I address who I am to be in light of these issues.  If the issue ever overshadows my duty to the individual then I fail in my first duty.  It is too easy in our culture to use media and rhetoric as a drumhead.  We dispense judgment based on implication, epithet, and pejorative rather than discernment and wisdom.  We treat our freedoms as license to do as we please rather than as counterbalances to our responsibilities. 

I will speak of what I think and believe for the dual purposes of being sure that I am honest with my own heart and in sparking thinking in others.  As a follower of Jesus Christ I have some very specific obligations.  When the social climate disagrees with those obligations then I must weather it in love and grace.  It must be said of us that even in our political incorrectness we have given love and grace to others in great abundance.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment