24 June 2013

Does God Exist – In the Morning and Evening – Concluding Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

The truth about the existence of God is simple.  It is a binary choice and from that choice leaps infinite possibilities.  Over the centuries men have used the belief, love, and fear of others to manipulate them.  At the core of that is a choice.  I have been involved in this choice at an intimate level since I was nine years old.

When it came down to it I do not ever think that I denied the existence of God.  I spent many years angry at him for not doing things my way.  I blamed him for circumstances that caused me pain.  I saw him as responsible for the things that tore at my heart and pushed him away. 

I realize that this is not everyone’s experience and I accept that.  For me, however, in the late weary evening and wee hours of the morning it comes down to a choice.  That choice is an honest one that everyone must face.  It is personal, private, and vital.  My choice to believe that God exists informs everything else about me.  It is where my moral compass is forged.  It is where I find my true north.  

I fail miserably at following sometimes.  I am a crooked stick and at times a poor example.  None of that is because of unbelief but rather it is because of disobedience.  As much as I wish I knew all the answers to all the mysteries of the universe I know that no one does.

For me it really does come down to the morning and evening.  When I lay down in the loneliness that is my bed or when I rise to the fresh morning to face a day in which I do little that is what I truly wish to be doing there is only a single constant.  I believe that God is there and that he is doing much more than just listening. 

I know that it is hard for some people to embrace that faith is necessary.  Like many things that is just the nature of the universe.  I want to fly, but there are laws of gravity and aerodynamics.  I want to travel at faster than light speeds to distant stars but there are no warp engines (yet).  I want to move things with my mind but we have yet to develop our brains to use telekinesis. 

The universe has a design, laws, and moves in a beautiful cosmic dance.  As I look up at the stars and ponder all the mysteries that are still out there I make a singular choice.  I answer the question, “Does God exist?” with a single word, “Yes”.  I neither reject nor judge those who disagree with me.  Instead I try to live a life that reflects the love, kindness, generosity, and faith that this choice demands.  I think if everyone who said yes to that choice did the same then faith might be an easier choice for those who disagree.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment