11 June 2013

Cherries

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that this is an odd post but that is understandable for me.  I often speak of my love for peaches but I seem to neglect other fruit that catches my attention.  Anything that is a “berry” is delicious to me.  Today, however, it is the cherry that has my attention. 

I am enjoying some perfectly ripe Bing Cherries for breakfast.  They are cool, sweet, tart, and tender.  They are one of those fruits that I enjoy in almost all possible forms.  Fresh cherries are to me the essence of late spring.  They capture all the cool dampness of spring.  They harbor the reminders of the bitter winter and the sweet life of spring for me.  The pits make them an effort to consume and occasionally the outside firmness belies one that has gone off in the middle.

The joy I find in them is not as long lived as peaches are for me, but when I have them I am reminded of picking them with my maternal grandfather one summer.  It is one of those memories that stands out as tart and sweet.

Mostly I am reminded about the vast variety that exists in creation.  I ponder the many ways in which God gives me joy in eating well.  We all have so many things we enjoy.  I try to turn consuming each cherry into an act of grateful worship. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment