22 June 2013

Does God Exist – The Miraculous

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that many people wish for God to reveal himself in some outstanding way that transcends the laws of the natural world.  I know that for some time I felt this way.  The problem is that God requires faith from us and this would denude the need for faith.

The Old and New Testament contain records of miraculous deeds done by God.  They were not good enough.  Why did I think that they would be good enough for me?  It is human nature to forget the special events that teach us valuable lessons.  An honest look a the world tells me that we seldom learn from the profound or the uncommon.  With God, however, I went through a period where I demanded that he show himself in a larger way.

What I was demanding was something that I knew God would not do without his own reasons.  Instead he sent someone my way who helped me see why faith was an integral part of following.  I cannot insist that God violate the tenant he has set up for a relationship with him.  I will say that I have seen things I cannot explain.  I will say that I have experienced the supernatural in a couple of instances.  If you wish to know about this Dear Reader, ask me privately and I will tell you.

The reason that I do not talk about specific revelation publically is because invariably well-meaning people try to explain away my experience.  I think that we come to the place where we think our own knowledge trumps God.  We come to “I understand how this works so God is not involved” thinking.  I think that this is not honest thinking.  Just because I can understand something does not limit God’s involvement.

We want things that are direct revelation or that violate the laws of nature.  I came to faith because I realized that if God did either of these things I would still have to have faith in him to follow.  It was not reasonable for me to demand direct evidence.  I was just as likely as those who had seen direct evidence to fail in following.  My insistence on the miraculous was self-centered and violated God’s requirement that we follow in faith.

There will always be the unexplained in the universe.  I will never deny sound science that explains things.  After I came to faith I did experience things that no one will convince me were not direct intervention by God.  Most of the unexplained things in the natural world will probably have explanation as our understanding grows.  However, I will not see the growth of our knowledge as a dismissal of God. 

I need to be humble and see that no matter how great my knowledge there are things I cannot explain.  Some of those are seminal to the origin of who I am and what I become. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment