09 February 2010

1 Mile and Counting

Greetings Dear Reader,

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet. – J.R.R. Tolkien

I am making the turn toward the lighted inn. Like my dear friend Bilbo I will have more adventures along the way. Hopefully there will be few dragons and Orcs in my path but I know that both joy and trouble await me. I come to the moment in a far different life than I imagined even a fortnight of years ago.

Some of the things past are wonderful memories. Some of them are things I cannot wait to have erased from my memory. I am attempting to realize some of the memories I wish to have later on and accomplish some things the matter long beyond the end of my time.

I have been thinking a great deal about friends along the road. There are people I miss greatly. More so there are friends I cherish that I do not get to see as often as I wish. There are places I miss as well but most of those are from my youth. I see great beauty still in the world even though with every passing decade the world seems tired, weary.

I fear for the disillusionment of my children’s generation. There is a loss of innocence there that troubles me greatly. At a young age they know too much of loss and pain. For my own children that is partly my fault and I am working to mend what I can. For the world I fear that our acceptance of things that harm the young causes them to mistrust us as a generation.

So as I grow nearer the inn, I will draw out my pipe, fill the bowl with some Longbottm leaf, and pull my cloak more snugly around me. Perhaps there will be more time for storytelling, baseball, and a find snifter of Grand Marne. I hope there is room for me at the inn. We shall see.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment