23 February 2010

The Spirit of the Song

Greetings Dear Reader,

Music is a great barometer for me. What I listen to and what I avoid is an excellent indicator of where I am both emotionally and spiritually. I wake up with a song in my head almost every morning. I use what is there to guide my morning thoughts so that if the song is positive I enhance that and if it is negative I combat the negative.

I think that music very much defines the generation that produces it. It gives the sense of the values, feelings, and conflicts of a time. I struggle with the spirit of many currently popular artists. I think that honest expression of thoughts and feelings does not have to be course or disrespectful. I am not becoming an old guy here. I truly think that we become progressively blatant in our disregard for morals and values that matter and this is expressed in the popular music.

I do not believe that any form of music can be wrong or evil. I do believe that what a song says to us; the message crafted by the artist can aide or hinder our following of Christ. I truly believe that music speaks to our spirits and that we must control what it sings to us. We need to be sure that where piece of music takes us is where we want to go. We need to examine ourselves and the message. I find that when I am in a morose or unloving place that I embrace songs that are not healthy for my spirit. Recently I have been awaking with a singular song in my head. I hope that it is because it is becoming the central song of my heart.

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom – Stuart Townend

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment