08 February 2010

2 Miles and Counting

Greetings Dear Reader,

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say. – J.R.R. Tolkien


Some days I forget that it is a journey and that my current home is not the destination. I have dreams of other homes and find that more often I think of them than I used to do. I want another temporal home but that is dependent on many things beyond my control. I have a great wander lust that I rarely give place to but ponder almost daily. At times I am gripped by the desire to make a turn that I have not made just so I can say I have made it.

As far back as I can remember I have nourished a desire to be on the road. During my last work search I actually considered becoming a truck driver. Every time I buy something at the market I am thankful for these hardy folk who travel daily so that my pantry may be full. We are not considerate enough for them.

Also my desire to succeed as a writer is tied to this wanderlust. A successful writer may live anywhere and almost everywhere he wishes. I would like to travel and see only so that I may use the richness of that travel to enhance my tales. I am still unsure of how I have been to all the places I already have. As Tolkien so profoundly put it, however, the road goes ever on and on and today my feet truly are weary. I have lost some companions along the way that I would see again. I have yet to meet all with whom I will travel for a space.

Where I am at this moment is not the destination and I cannot see even the road that leads to it. I know that it is up ahead somewhere and that the bend that currently hinders my vision will pass behind me and perhaps I will find wonder to distract me from the weariness. They say that it will snow tomorrow. That is a wonder even though it makes the travel harder.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment