23 December 2011

Awaiting Christmas: A Pipe and Bowl


Greetings Dear Reader,

I will be writing about Christmas Eve twice.  This is the first and centered mostly on me.  I have done this for years and few know I do it.  About four times a year I smoke a pipe.  One of those times is Christmas Eve.  I will quietly slip out to the porch after everyone else is in bed and the presents are laid out under the tree.

My Church Warden
I have a dwindling supply of an excellent McClelland dark Cavendish.  I will fill my Church Warden with it.  I used to use my Savinelli but I weep when I smoke it now (absent friends).  The Church Warden does just fine.   I will also pour a small but generous portion of Grand Marnier into a brandy glass and warm it over a candle. 

Out in the cold and quiet of Christmas Eve I will quietly recite the Christmas story from Luke chapter 2 and enjoy some time of thankful prayer.  I will quietly list all the blessings I can think of until the pipe and bowl are done.  God gave his Son so I could live and that truly is enough.  Beyond that he has blessed me so deeply with other things. 

It is so easy to spend Christmas wanting and wishing.  I will set aside this time in dark hours of Christmas Eve to make sure that my heart is set on gratitude and not avarice.  Christmas morning I will get to enjoy my children all in one place and having breakfast with them. 

I have had so much blessing because of this time over the years.  I you Dear Reader find time to really find a way to acknowledge how much you are loved by God before the night passes.  It is a favorite part of my journey round the sun each year.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment