10 June 2012

Marginalizing God – Consumption


Greetings Dear Reader,

I spent many years vastly overweight.  I am closer to my proper weight than I have been in a long time.  My eldest Son, Maxim likes to tease me about eating sprouts but I can see in that teasing his admiration for me taking better care of myself.  I know that I have a problem with food and I have to deal with it daily.  Oddly this is an excellent opportunity to avoid marginalizing God. 

If I do not accept that I am accountable for what I eat then I leave God out of an area of my life.  When I marginalize God in the area of my eating then I endanger not only my health but my faith.  I am not to depend on consumption for my feelings of satisfaction.  Food, drink, or anything is not to be my avenue to feeling good or avoiding feeling bad.

My faith must be central to anything I consume.  If I abuse anything it hurts me and those around me.  If I lie to myself about overeating, drinking to excess, or even eating the wrong foods then I also marginalize God in my honesty.  Since God provides all that I have I must be very careful to be a good steward of all that I am given.

The weight loss over the years and better all-around health are good.  Realizing that in this I must also acknowledge my obligation to follow Christ is even better.  I do not want to avoid Christ being central to anything in my life.  I want everything I do to be an act of following.  The following is the reward.  The health and good feeling are just a bonus.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment