19 June 2012


Missing Winter

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday a friend posted on line how miserable she was with the heat we are experiencing.  It is not terrible.  We are getting temperatures in the nineties and the humidity is elevated but nothing compared to what it will be in the south.  The heat will last here for only a few days and my come back for a day or two later in the summer.  It happens seldom enough that they call it a heat wave.  Where I grew up heat and humidity are daily fair from April until October.

What is interesting is that in her post she mentions how much she misses winter.  This same friend posted in February how much she missed summer and wished for the cold to go away.  I suppose we all want perfect weather but that is different for each individual based on his or her preferences.

For me it would be either the world covered in snow but not extremely cold or seventy degrees with tattered clouds and a light breeze.  Even then I would grow dissatisfied because that is my nature and perhaps that is the issue.

Perhaps that is why God allows the weather to be so mercurial.  Aside from showing is constant creativity it shows us how dissatisfied we can become if we do not focus on God’s sovereignty. 

Today I miss winter but I know I would not were sitting on Folly Beach watching the sea oats dance with the wind.  I wish it was snowing but would trade it for a Folly Island sunset or a walk in the morning surf.  Even when I have been in this most paradise like of havens I have wished for cooler weather or warmer water. 

I have adopted a stance of late of not complaining about the weather.  I remind my selfish nature that God never gets the weather wrong and I am blessed with the ability to mostly control the climate I live in no matter where I am.  No matter what the weather is it has been approved by God and I need only do what I am meant to do in it.

There are times when I will get to enjoy the weather I wish for today but like all good things, those times come when they are meant to come.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment