23 June 2012

Ten Commandments - Worship



Greetings Dear Reader,

How often have we seen someone do something grand and another take or be given credit for that grand thing?  How often have we seen someone usurp the place of another?  God is no different in his abhorrence of this.  Because he is God and Creator of all, all things are his.  He does not abide worshiping of those things.

“Never make your own carved idols or statues that represent any creature in the sky, on the earth, or in the water.  Never worship them or serve them, because I, the LORD your God, am a God who does not tolerate rivals. I punish children for their parents' sins to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me.” (GW)

He is not commanding that one cannot create statues and paintings.  He must love art.  Look that the world he created.  He commands later that his followers create statues and images for the temple.  The Creator simply disallows that anyone reject him by worshiping his creation.

“Do not carve images of things in the sky, on the land, or in the sea for the purpose of worshiping them.  Do not bow or prostrate yourselves before them.  Do not serve them.  Because I, Jehovah tolerate no rival I punish those who make me their enemy for generations.”  (ATT) 

Since God is reaching out to us in love he makes it clear that he will have no rival.  We are his by right and by purchase.  He made us and he bought us when we sold ourselves to other things.  We idolize others things instead.  Status and power; wealth and passions are our new idols.  We lay ourselves down before a new car or a bigger flat screen.

I have had idols that I sold my honor and holiness to obtain.  I work daily now to assure that I do not recreate those errors.  I can already see my errors infecting my children and want to live in such a way that God spares them from my errors or new ones of their own.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store. "

No comments:

Post a Comment