02 June 2012

Startling Contrast – Old Fans


Greetings Dear Reader,

Dazzy Vance
I remember baseball games with my Grandfather.  He always sat next to another elderly gentleman and they both would talk about baseball from their youth.  They would speak of baseball that is only legend to me.  The baseball of their past included Rodgers Hornsby in his prime and Babe Ruth just hitting his stride.  The Braves were around but they were still half a century away from Atlanta.  Dazzy Vance and Walter Johnson were dominating the pitching world. 

They baseball of their youth was much different than mine and a stark contrast to that of now.  The thing that remains the same is the youthful faith that our team, no matter how down they are, will rise.  As I sat at the game this week I felt that same indomitable hope.  At every level the love of baseball requires faith.  One must have faith in every position; the pitching, hitting, and fielding.  The faith of baseball requires that one believe that fortunes can improve on every pitch, at every hit, or in every inning.  This faith stretches on in infinite linear progression to the next game, the next series, and the next season.
1924 Boston Braves

The journey through baseball is so much like the journey of faith.  No matter the disappointments or losses I can look down the road to something better.  My Grandfather always believed strongly in both God and baseball.  The only way to continue is to see no matter how hard things might be today there is another chance to exercise my faith; to trust, to believe, and to follow.  As I become the old baseball fan passing on a legacy I hope that I can pass along the faith as well.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment