21 June 2012

Ten Commandments – Who Commands Me



Greetings Dear Reader,

As I mentioned briefly yesterday there is a sense of assumption to the beginning of these commandments.  In the next sentence we are given the sense of who it is that is about to lay out a law for us. 

“I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of slavery in Egypt.” (GW)

The words here form an interesting contrast of singular and plural.  More important they give us a sense of just who it is that gives me a framework for what is to follow.  A very literal rendering of this would be quite powerful and give historical understanding to the hearers.  These people have seen the plagues, the pillars of fire and smoke, and crossed the Red Sea on dry land.  They have seen the Egyptian army destroyed just after their doubtful complaining.

Before they ever hear the words Moses will deliver to them they reject the God who saved them for a calf forged in gold.  They have seen so much and yet still reject the one who has freed them.  Even as he forges these words on the mountain they reject him below.  The opening sentence is a claim to two things that are eternally true of the Hebrews and of me.

It would render in their ears and hopefully in my heart like this:  “Jehovah, the existing one, is your Elohiym, the one who delivered you from the hell to which you were enslaved in Egypt.” (ATT)

He does not need to show his power as he has already done that adequately.  Rather I think that he is taking the first step in wanting his people to know him.  All of my better longings come from that which God creates in us.  He wishes for us to know him so that he can deliver us from our slavery.  He wishes for me to see who he is and that he wishes to have a relationship with me.

In this he begins to unfold the commands that will show me just how deeply I am enslaved to things are not his nature.  He wishes for me to see my need for him and begins the lesson with a revelation of who he is.  The God who IS wishes for me to be free and will make the journey down to me to provide my redemption.   He will travel to me since I cannot go to him.  He will find a way when I cannot.  In this even as he prepares to show me how unholy I truly am he wishes for me to know him for who he is.  He wishes for me to see that  he loves me even as I worship the calf and reject him.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment