27 January 2013

The Bible I Read

Greetings Dear Reader,

I thought I would share some things about the actual Bible I read.  It is as old as my eldest Son and much more worn.  It is the Bible I had in Bible College and was a gift from some people now departed.  It is a New American Standard translation.  I can recall lectures and learning as I read and turn its pages.

None of that is as important as the way in which it has been a companion through so many victories and failures.  I can count eighteen other physical Bibles from where I sit that are mine.  One is the Bible I was given when I first found faith in Jesus.  I have an electronic Bible that is excellent and free.  Containing dozens of translations and many commentaries, dictionaries, and writings makes it an invaluable tool. It is e-Sword produced by Rick Meyers.  The link will take you to his web site and can freely enjoy this amazing labor of love.

None of them are as precious to me as the one that I read daily.  It that physical Bible that helps me understand why daily reading of the Word of God is so important for me.  I do this privately and try not to make a big deal of it.  Nothing changes that it is the words that make it matter, and the Spirit behind those words.  I am not saying that the translation is the best because even though it is good it is not the best.

The thing that matters is that we read.  Faith comes from hearing the word of God.  Jesus knew the Old Testament intimately and so I should as well so that I can understand what he says.  I have said this before but studying the Bible is negligible compared to really reading it.  So many people claim to have studied it when what they have done is read what others have written and never really pursued the actual story.

The story is what matters.  The way it wants to get into me and change who I am so that I can live my part in it.  When others comment on the weaknesses of Bible I wonder so often if they have really read it.  They usually arrogantly say they have but I challenge this: Really read the Bible.  Really give it a chance to be something more than just another book.  This it what I did so long ago and it saved my physical life and who I am. 

To my eternal shame I have not always lived what I have learned but that does not make the lessons any less valuable.  We do not say that Shakespeare was a hack because we see bad actors perform one of his plays terribly.  Yet we blame the failures of Christ’s followers on God and his story for us.  The Bible I read says that this is exactly why we need to read it.  We need to see that we are all in need of a kind of healing and reclamation from who we are.  We have a part in a fantastic story whether we embrace it or not.  I would much rather live the adventure.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment