04 April 2013

A Pinch of Salt

Greetings Dear Reader,

Some years ago a friend told me that her husband was having trouble with the acid in coffee but he loved drinking coffee.  I remembered from my cooking days that in order to make coffee more mellow the head chef had used a pinch of salt in the urn.  I recommended this to my friend and her husband was again able to enjoy his coffee.

Often when my students are not working well during lab time I remind them that I have a three hour lecture on salt that I will be glad to deliver should they not return to their tasks.  I love salt in proper proportions.  I very rarely put in my food.  I feel it detracts from the taste and too much salt is unhealthy.

I read the other day a comment which said, “I see the world is the same but where is the salt and light?”  It seems that one of the things that Christians embrace in being salt is that they are allowed to rail on the sins of those who are outside of the faith.  I think that the proper use of salt would be to remove the acid not enhance it.

I am to be salt of the earth. Actually according to Jesus I already am.  If I am more salt than I am other things I will be unpleasant and unhealthy.  If my salt cuts the acid in the world and enhances the natural goodness then I am doing what I should.  I rarely weigh in on social issues but I know that anything less than love for those who are outside of Christ is not healthy for anyone.

If I am to be salt then I must assure that I am balanced in my approach to things.  I must seek to neutralize the acid and enhance the flavor.  I must preserve and season.  As with all things I must walk that narrow path between humility and boldness that reflects Christ and him alone.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

3 comments:

  1. It reminds me of The Path of the Middle Way. We must not be too extreme in either direction. There is too much of a good thing and too much of a bad thing, so we should endeavor to keep a balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment Tom. As always, temperance and balance often lead to the most valuable truths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful explanation of the salt-analogy for followers of Christ! The chemistry of salt is interesting. Our tastebuds seem to indicate that salt neutralizes acid. Actually, table salt, sodium chloride, does not chemically neutralize acid, however other compounds (considered to be salts by chemists), such as Calcium Carbonate, do neutralize acid quite well. Again, your passage was very enjoyable reading!

    ReplyDelete