29 April 2013

My Social Responsibility – Concluding Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Luke takes us through the first decade of the church by following the spread of the good news of Jesus Christ throughout Asia Minor.  He leaves us at the end of Acts with Paul in prison and the Gospel spreading.

Most people agree that the history in Acts is not a springboard for teaching theology.  I would, however, submit that it is a very clear blueprint for how we are to give hands and feet to our theology.  It tells me what my priorities are.

  • I am to be subject to the teachings of Jesus.
  • I am to be aware of and do something about the needs of anyone around me whether they believe as I do or not.
  • I am to put the welfare of others above my own wants and needs.
  • I am to respect the government even when I disagree with it.
  • I should expect to be both loved and hated for doing these things.
  • I am to go where the Gospel takes me.


As I look at all of this and compare it to the modern church I am not surprised that so many have abandoned their faith.  I am not judge anyone but I do see a vast disparity between what we are commanded to be and what I see churches doing. 

What really matters though is what I do.  I can do all things I listed if I choose to do so.  I can be an example of what we are called to be as Christ followers.  I will never be perfect and neither will any individual church.  I do not need to criticize anyone else.  I do not need to complain about any particular church or denomination.

I do need to work for unity and peace.  I do need to insist that the body of believers in which I am involved give themselves to the Gospel and the community equally.  I need to assure that I do the same. 

“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment