13 April 2013

My Social Responsibility – Attention to Every Need

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the things that I think damages the church the most is the inattention it pays to the homeless and the hungry.  Again there is a form of power here that could silence so many of our detractors.  Jesus had the same accusation for the religious leaders of his time. 

Luke 20:45-47 While all the people were listening, Jesus said to the disciples, “Beware of the scribes! They like to walk around in long robes and love to be greeted in the marketplaces, to have the front seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at dinners. They rob widows by taking their houses and then say long prayers to make themselves look good. The scribes will receive the most severe punishment."

It is very clear throughout the Gospels that the place of religious leadership is caring for those in need.  When confronted with a time constraint the Apostles saw to it that these needs did not go unmet.  Those ministering the gospel assured that people were doing the tasks of taking care of the hungry and those in need.  They too were performing miracles.

I begin to believe more and more that the reason we do not see the supernatural daily in Christ followers is due to the abandonment of this heart level compassion for widows, orphans, the sick, the homeless, and the socially destitute.  One cannot claim to follow Christ and ignore these things.

I cannot say that I am living the gospel and ignore the needs of people.  I cannot speak words of love and salvation of the soul if I do not practice deeds that minister to the whole person.  I cannot expect my words to be heard if my love for the person is not seen.  I think the church cannot hope to keep its relevancy if it does not radically embrace the need to address these issues.  I think that Christ followers cannot hope to be heard if they do not take individual responsibility for the needs of others.  I cannot ignore these truths and hope to be who Christ wishes me to be as his follower.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous13/4/13 11:03

    Happily our church has a strong help program that we support.

    ReplyDelete