04 May 2016

I AM – Light of the World and the Southern Cross

Greetings Dear Reader,

As most of you know I plan the facets of my writing on a topic in advance.  Some are obvious to me at the outset and some less so.  I was speaking with my friend Dwight yesterday about fresh bread (as referenced in yesterday’s discourse).  The conversation turned to other things we remember and one of them was the Southern Cross.

I have written about this beautiful constellation before (see the link above).   And it is one of the things that puts me in mind of Jesus’ claim to be the light of the world.  I am also reminded that my first word was light as was my eldest Son’s.  This is uncommon.  I realize that may sound a bit disjointed but it leads to my thoughts on light and Jesus as the Light.

John finds this important as he writes about Jesus.  The relationship between humans and light is a vital one.  We seek light.  We are not naturally nocturnal.  That is when most of us sleep.  We create artificial light whenever possible.  We are as a species drawn to light.

Jesus best friend refers to Jesus as the light that shines in the darkness yet is not comprehended by the darkness.  I see so much of the darkness against which I struggle as a lack of comprehension of the light.  I am supposed to be “the light of the world.”  I often find, however, that I am unsure how to shine. 

I think about how many times I have fallen.  I wonder if the Spirit is using me.  I try to listen to the larger voice that calls me.  I think about the Southern Cross and renew my resolve to be better light and less dark.  I then remember that dark can only be understood as the absence of light. 

Life for me is either the presence of Christ or the absence of him.  Since he is always there it comes to my recognition of it.  If I am to follow the light of the world then I have to keep my eyes open.  After all once I know that the Light is there I can only avoid it if I close my eyes.  If I do not see the light and follow it then it is because I have chosen not to do so. 

So many things try to make me forget about the love of Christ.  So many things entice me to never fail to fail.  So much darkness wants to gain my attention over the light.  Something fine wants to come along and forget about loving Jesus, and the Southern Cross. 

Southern Cross – Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young

Got out of town on a boat to the Southern islands
Sailing a reach before a following' sea
She was making' for the trades on the outside
And the downhill run to Pipette

Off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas
We got eighty feet of the waterline nicely making way
In a noisy bar in Avalon I tried to call you
But on a midnight watch I realized why twice you ran away

Think about how many times I have fallen
Spirits are using me; larger voices calling'
What Heaven brought you and me cannot be forgotten

(Around the world) I have been around the world
(Looking') Looking' for that woman, girl
(Who knows she knows) Who knows love can endure
And you know it will

When you see the Southern Cross for the first time
You understand now why you came this way
'Cause the truth you might be runnin' from is so small
But it's as big as the promise, the promise of a coming' day

So I'm sailing for tomorrow my dreams are a dying'
And my love is an anchor tied to you tied with a silver chain
I have my ship and all her flags are a' flying'
She is all that I have left and music is her name

Think about
Think about how many times I have fallen
Spirits are using me larger voices calling'
What Heaven brought you and me cannot be forgotten

(I've been around the world) I have been around the world
(Looking') Looking' for that woman girl
Who knows love can endure
And you know it will, and you know it will yes

Oooh...

So we cheated and we lied and we tested
And we never failed to fail it was the easiest thing to do
You will survive being bested
Somebody fine will come along make me forget about loving you
And the southern cross

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment