28 October 2014

Second Thoughts – The Southern Cross

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Seven years ago this week I made a quick trip to Australia.  By quick I mean that I flew there over a 19 hour period, stayed for 6 hours, and returned on a 21 hour flight.  I crossed the International Date Line at almost midnight and lost an entire Thursday.  We took off from Sydney, Australia on the return trip at 5:00 pm on Friday and landed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin at 5:20 pm on the same day.

On the flight down there the night sky was clear and brilliant.  I was having trouble sleeping and the flight attendant noticed.  She brought me an extra pillow and suggested that I lean on the window and watch the stars go by.  Her suggestion could not have yielded a more peaceful repose.

I was amazed at how plentiful the stars were and then further amazed when I found the Southern Cross.  I had heard that it was beautiful and always been intrigued by the comparison of it to unforgettable love by Crosby, Still, Nash, and Young in the song of the same name.  I was overtaken by the beauty of this arrangement of stars that reminded me of the richness there is in Christ.

That trip seven years ago was to bring Christmas home to live with us.  I have watched her grow and heal in ways that I could not imagine.  Of late I have seen her show compassion and devotion to my family in a way that some blood relatives have not shown. 

She has every reason to be bitter and angry with the world.  Instead she chooses to show love and kindness in her life.  She repays good for evil.  She embraces those who reject her.  She follows Christ a little closer every day.  I am proud of her on so many levels.  Like the Southern Cross she shines in the darkness reminding us just who it is that gives us the promise of a coming day.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



No comments:

Post a Comment