10 January 2017

Things Lost in the Fire – Companions

Greetings Dear Reader,

There is a line from a Kipling poem: “And the gloom of my bachelor days is flecked with the cheery light, of stumps that I burned to Friendship and Pleasure and Work and Fight.”

Over the years there are friends who have been with me through difficult times and tumultuous waters.  There are friends with whom I have walked through dark days.  I love them all.  Not all of them still love me. 

Some of the loss is my fault.  Some of my greater failures have harmed them and those friends have chosen to forsake me rather than allow things between us to heal.  This is not a judgment against them.  I do, however, long for the time when past offenses are left behind in the desire to journey home in companionship and harmony. 

Others have left the faith.  I love them no less but there is something about the common ground of a common path on a shared journey that binds us.  When we walk together in that shared faith we have a foothold to solve all ills.  When faith is forsaken once comforting conversation become contentious or offensive. 

The distance is there even when the space is common.  The heart breaks freshly when I see those who are dear to me but have chosen distance over forgiveness, faith, and fellowship.  Again, that is not a faulting of these friends.  It is my sorrow over the loss of communion and counsel.

I learn from this to love everyone without condition.  I fail at it but strive for it.  I cultivate joy at the encounter of those who are dear to me whenever we meet.  I treat strangers with kindness and welcome.  I keep all doors open so that should any of these friends seek me out they will find welcome.  I long for the time when Christ makes all things right and we can sit together in the light of peace.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment