14 February 2017

Searching Social Stances – Issues versus Insults

Greetings Dear Reader,

I used to get so angry when students would refuse to learn.  As I grew in my teaching experience I realized that one cannot force anyone else to learn.  One cannot legislate learning.  It is the meeting of two minds over knowledge, understanding, and application.  It is the bridge of two people in academic congress journeying to a new place.

The social stances I see hinder learning.  Instead of speaking to each other we have become embattled factions hurling epithets and insults.  We damage each other over ideals instead of reason and conversation.  We fail to hold back our emotions in favor of conversation.

With me the anger, disrespect, and violence weakens one’s position.  I will always listen to a reasoned conversation.  I will withdraw from insults, derision, and attacks.  I will not support those with whom I agree who employ such tactics.  One cannot love one’s enemies and use these tactics.

We attack instead of expressing the need.  When we do express the need we load it with conditions and provisos that make compromise difficult.  I will always hold to standards that align with my faith.  That means that no matter what I think of someone’s morals or values I must care about his or her needs.  I must love him unconditionally.

We can discuss anything.  I must not argue or divide just to win my way.  The values I hold are worthless if they cannot abide honest discussion over issues.  My faith is a failure it cannot stand with all its requirements.  If the greatest commandments are to love God and love humans I cannot water that down and be honest.  I do not need to insult others to live my faith.  If you need to argue this then perhaps we do not share the same faith.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment