13 February 2017

Searching Social Stances - Mayhem

Greetings Dear Reader,

Whenever one engages in violence against persons and property the action is by definition intolerant.  In a nation that accepts violence as entertainment we pretend to be people of peace and tolerance.   We act as if we care about the rights of everyone.

We do that until those rights disagree with our values.  Whether it is destroying college property or allowing someone to die because of rules and regulations we are not tolerant.  We may claim to be but in truth we visit mayhem on each other actively and passively. 

When protests have even the smallest bit of violence they are no longer protests.  When a law to protect our borders allows an ailing mother to die we are no longer being noble.  If we call our position one of social justice then we had better assure just behavior and just treatment of everyone.  When I say that I follow Christ I had best be peaceful with everyone.

If one claims to follow Christ and allows for mayhem then one is not following Christ.  If one claims to seek tolerance, peace, or justice and acts violently then one is seeking none these.  It is in the peaceful protest of injustice that justice will be obtained.  It is in the assurance all people get a peaceful voice that the truth can be heard.

I am required to love and respect everyone.  That love and respect does not condone any particular philosophy or behavior.  I can believe that one is wrong in his or her morals, values, and stances without hating him or her.  I can disagree with an approach to a social ill without being racist of bigoted.  What I must do is assure that I insist that the social ill be addressed with respect to the needs of others.  

No matter which side of the issue I am on if I am part of or condone mayhem I am wrong.  If I work through love and peace to assure that the needs of others are met I am living out the Gospel.  If I exclude anyone from that care then I am not follow Christ. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment