10 October 2012

What is Your Super Power? – Development - Defining

Greetings Dear Reader,

So as we hone in on the essence of discovery and development we must define what makes us uniquely powerful.  By that I do not mean that we alone possess a power but that it is what defines us and our path to serving the greater good. 

Since all of these powers are rooted in the common power we must share we must begin with that.  As Christ followers we have the power to love.  We can unconditionally love everyone if we choose to do so. 

All power and all ability is useless if not rooted in love.  No matter what else we are gifted with it must be preceded by, encased in, and powered by love for others.

I may speak in the languages of humans and of angels. But if I don't have love, I am a loud gong or a clashing cymbal.  I may have the gift to speak what God has revealed, and I may understand all mysteries and have all knowledge. I may even have enough faith to move mountains. But if I don't have love, I am nothing.  I may even give away all that I have and give up my body to be burned. But if I don't have love, none of these things will help me.   Love is patient. Love is kind. Love isn't jealous. It doesn't sing its own praises. It isn't arrogant.  It isn't rude. It doesn't think about itself. It isn't irritable. It doesn't keep track of wrongs.  It isn't happy when injustice is done, but it is happy with the truth.   Love never stops being patient, never stops believing, never stops hoping, never gives up.  Love never comes to an end. - Paul

This is the power that has no counter.  Hatred is not the opposite of love it is the resistance of it.  When the two clash eventually love wins out.  Every other thing we do must be fueled by love for those we serve.  No matter what I do for others.  No matter how I benefit those around me. If I do not do it out of love it is impure. 

There is no kryptonite against love except our own will.  We can refuse to love and others will not benefit.  We can withhold love and it will make others miserable.  Everything about what we are supposed to be is about love.  That which is heroic in us; the super power we all share is our capacity to love others unconditionally and eternally.

A DISCLAIMER
For those who know me, I promise I have not gone mad.  I am using this extended metaphor intentionally to better process my thoughts.  I promise not to try to fly or deflect any bullets.  I will not be donning a strange costume or building a secret lair. 

Addendum to disclaimer: I do like the idea of a secret lair.

Second Addendum to disclaimer:  I am going to keep my secret identity.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. "[Love] is the power that has no counter." - I love this. It fueled my thoughts about God further in light of the verse "God is love". In other words, everything that pure love is mirrors God's nature and character. At the same time, love is what God is. There is no "opposite" of God- what would be the opposite is simply what is not. In other words, YHWH, "I Am Who Am" is God's name. The opposing force, which is nothing at all would be all things that are not. "In Him we live and move and have our being." I always thought the opposite of love was pride, but now I realize love has no opposite, just root forces which resist being overcome by it, and pride is the father of them all. Regardless of it's seminal nature as such, pride is still no opposite for God. God is all powerful, and it's opposite is no power. God is everlasting and it's opposite is never-existing, God is all knowing and it's opposite is no-knowing. The opposite of God is nothing at all, and so, as you said, the opposite of love is that same. It does not exist, because it cannot. That is the nature of all which is not of God. Thanks for the post- perhaps an elementary thought, but it was good for me to process it here.

    ReplyDelete