08 October 2012

What is Your Super Power? – Development - Acceptance

Greetings Dear Reader,

I found the montage of Peter Parker developing his powers in the first Spiderman movie quite amusing.  Again this is not how it works for us.  Since most of our heroic abilities involve the interpersonal we must develop them more subtly. 

In order understand how this works we must first be willing to use them.  Development of the power begins with the will.  We must accept who we are and that we have a purpose.  Our destiny is no longer our own.  This may be the most important part of developing our power.

That we can no longer be “normal” is a key to the development process.  Accepting that with my power comes responsibility yields that I must use that power and not ignore it.  Until I accept that my life is only my own as long I live within the responsibilities of my new identity then I can hope for peace. 

If I claim that my life is my own outside of my new powers then I am really denying who I am.  In that first dishonesty I fail to develop my honor and integrity.  If I do not embrace the truth that I am a man of destiny then I cannot become what I am meant to become.  At the core of becoming is acceptance of what I am. 

There is another facet of this acceptance.  Like Cyclops energy beams our powers yearn to break free and be used.  I do not mean we have his lack of control but rather that if we do not hold them back the powers within us reveal themselves to others.  Failing to accept and develop them builds the pressure of desire to use them. 

Once we are changed by our powers we are no longer fit to live without them.  Acceptance is the first step to developing that which can truly make us heroic in the lives of others.  Failure to do this assures discomfort and dissatisfaction.

A DISCLAIMER
For those who know me, I promise I have not gone mad.  I am using this extended metaphor intentionally to better process my thoughts.  I promise not to try to fly or deflect any bullets.  I will not be donning a strange costume or building a secret lair.  

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment