31 October 2012


All Hallows Eve Reflections

Greetings Dear Reader,

Many of my friends find today a day of partying and debauchery.  That is not a judgment but rather an observation.  For the previous week I have listened to my friends and family discuss their plans for this evening.  Many of them included comments regarding consuming large quantities of potent potables.

As I said, this is not a judgment just an observation.  While I do not think we are obligated to observe the traditions of the early church I do see value in what this day is intended to be for us as Christ followers.  All Hallows Eve or Holy Evening has a purpose that can be observed and enrich my life.

This evening was set aside for the preparation of the mind and heart to observe All Saints Day and All Souls Day.  While I admit that much of the history of our faith is littered with corruption and violence there is something to be said for remembering those who have given their lives to further the true cause of Christ.

I stand on the shoulders and graves of people who were willing to die to help others find the love and freedom that is in Christ.  I will spend the day in an odd costume and preparing my heart for the remembrances of those who have come before me.  A part of the celebration of Hallowmas is to prepare our hearts for the approaching season of advent.

It is also vital that we remember that each of us has a death to pay.  We were given life but it has a lease that we cannot control.  It will expire and we must pay the full sum.  Memento mori or Remember your mortality is something that we must all embrace as we consider our lives, the lives of those who come before us, and the life that the advent celebrates.

We must prepare our lives to enter a season of giving by remembering what has been given for us.  It is not about the material giving as much as it is about the giving of ourselves to the cause of Christ.  You see long before it was commercialized the church was preparing for Christmas at Halloween.    
Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment