05 October 2012

What is Your Super Power? – Secret Identity

Greetings Dear Reader,

We all know that one of the key features of a super hero is that they have a secret identity.  The reasons are multiple and the existence of an alter ego is necessary to the success of the hero.  The primary reasons are simple enough.

First there is the need to protect the friends and family from the villains our heroes combat. We have seen the results on page and screen of an enemy learning of this secret identity.  The family is attacked and harmed. This drives the need to secret his identity.

The other primary reason is the idea that they are doing wrong by fighting wrong.  They are often seen as vigilantes by the local police and government.  The good they do is seen as unlawful and interference even when they do good to the entire city.  No matter the reason our driven hero pays a high price in this area for doing what he feels he must do.

I think that there is a third reason that is more important than either of the necessary ones.  Underlying Spiderman’s bravado or Batman’s sense of justice is a truth that is necessary to discovering and developing our super power(s).  That truth is humility.  Superman is not seeking recognition.  Batman desires neither accolades nor approval.  Evan Spiderman is humble when pressed on the matter.

I think at the core of every true hero is a humility that is difficult to describe.  That humility is necessary to his or her success.  It goes back to the thought that “with great power comes great responsibility.”  We cannot move in a spirit of pride and use our power well.  What we must remember is who we are.

As a Christ follower I am both someone who sees the world in all its need and becomes a hero to fight for its redemption and someone who is born into it with the responsibility of a hero thrust upon me by providence.  What matters is that I truly and with humility embrace the latter without ever forgetting the former.  I have no right to look down on anyone because I come from the same place they do.  I must, however, realize that I am now an alien with power beyond my own self and embrace that identity with humility.

Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there’s the superhero and there’s the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he’s Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone.

Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he’s Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red “S” – that’s the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kent's found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears – the glasses, the business suit – that’s the costume. That’s the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. – Bill, Kill Bill Volume II

Key to the success of this secret identity is letting my deeds speak for themselves.  I must employ my super powers for the sake of others and never for gain.  I must not boast about my identity.  I must not even try to use my gifts for my own purposes.  My cloak, cowl, and mask must be that of humbly doing good for others with no thought of recognition or praise.  In this lies a vital key to discovering and using my power well.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment