15 June 2014

Minstrels in the Gallery – Which Way Are You Going

Greetings Dear Reader,

The first song that I heard from Jim Croce was You Don’t Mess Around With Jim.  He died in a plane crash long before he ran out of songs.  When my eldest Son, Maxim first heard the song Which Way Are You Going his question was, “Why haven’t you played this one for me before now dad?”

Every path has side paths and rabbit trails.  Following Christ is no different.  Everyday choices lead to divergences that can lead me astray in my journey.  I do not usually subscribe to slippery slope theories.  I do believe minor wrong choices mount up to large failures. 

It is the taking of short side paths away from our true destination that results in the failures and wrong doing of Christ followers.  It is the minor choices that lead to the great atrocities of the church.  Minor choices not to love in the moment do potentially lead to hatred and death. 

It is not the big decisions that lead us to the inquisition.  It is the small choices to grasp power and manipulate in little ways the result in the torture and death of the innocent.  The same is true in my life and choices.  My minor choices lead to the major ones that either benefit or hurt others.

Every day I must constantly ask which way I am going.   I must ask whose side I am on (more on that tomorrow).  It is being kind about the small things.  It is being consistent in my faith and following at every opportunity that makes the difference.  It is with each step deciding to go the right way that keeps me on the path of following Christ.


Which way are you going?
Which side will you be on?
Will you stand and watch
While all the seeds of hate are sown
Will you stand with those who say
"Let his will be done?"

One hand on the bible
One hand on the gun
One hand on the bible
One hand on the gun

Which way are you looking
Is it hard to see?
Do you say
"What's wrong for him is not wrong for me?"
You walk the streets
Righteousness but you refuse to understand

You say you love the baby
Then you crucify the man
You say you love the baby
Then you crucify the man

Everyday things are changing
Words once honored turned to lies
People wondering, can you blame them
It's too far to run and too late to hide

Now you turn your back on
All the things that you used to preach
Now it's, "Let him live in freedom, if he lives like me"
Well, your light has changed, confusion rains
What have you become

All your olive branches turned to spears
When your flowers turned to guns
Your olive branches turned to spears
When your flowers turned to guns

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment