05 June 2014

Minstrels in the Gallery – Pat Terry

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I was moving through my turbulent teenage years in the south Christian music was just emerging into something other than hymns and borrowed bar tunes.  In our community a true believer and artist was making music that reached us all.

The Pat Terry Group produced music that was part of the first wave of contemporary Christian music.  The songs spoke to how we felt as young believers concerned about the way in which the church was dealing with the evolution of culture in terms of music and expression of faith.

I never felt that Pat Terry and his band were either revolutionary or political.  Rather, they were genuine about the reality of a relationship with Jesus.  These songs also gave us a reminder of how we interact with each other in light of who Christ is. 

This morning the chorus to Restored was playing in the soundtrack of my brain as I emerged from sleep a full hour earlier than intended.  It is the song I have been praying over concerning a couple of situations that trouble my spirit. 

Pat Terry’s music has also been significant for me because of its ability to reflect my heart when I struggle with faith.  It is the ability of this music to echo exactly how I feel that keeps me returning to it over the decades.  I have learned how to play most of these songs.

Of note is the song Meet Me Here.  It is the song that plays in the jukebox of my head when I hurting and I doubt.  I sing it softly back to God, usually through tears of pain and sorrow.  It and many of this fine man’s songs can be found on YouTube if you are curious. 

I really do grow weary of the separation at times.  Today I am more concerned about others than my own struggles.   That is a good thing.  Still I think this song may be at the root of the needs of those for whom I am praying.

Meet Me Here – Pat Terry

Organ stopped its playing, everyone’s gone home
But I’m here, wishing that somehow we could meet
Preacher stopped his preaching, somehow it goes on in my heart
Somehow I feel so incomplete.

You and me, all alone in your house
Don’t know how to say it
I guess that I’ll just play it by ear
Meet me here.

Pews are now so empty, still you seem so near
And I cry, hoping that someway I might know you
Choir stopped its singing, but somehow I still hear,
And the tears are blinding my eyes that need you.

You and me, all alone in your house
Don’t know how to say it
I guess that I’ll just play it by ear
Meet me here.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment