01 June 2014

Second Thoughts – The Glovers

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

If you pay a moment’s attention and have a modicum of retention you may recall that I like baseball.  I like baseball in the way that Tribbles like Quadrotriticale or the way fish like water.  I do not abandon family for friends for it but the single best place in the world for me in the twilight hours of a summer evening is just to the left of home plate about six rows back.

This past Friday I took my eldest Grandson to his first game of the season.  He handled it well enough last season at age two and a half.  This time he was engaged with almost every pitch.  He knew who the home team was and that we wanted them to hit.  He knew when they were in the field we did not want the “grey” team to get a hit.

He calls the players Glovers.  He says things like “our glovers caught the ball” or “that glover hit a home run”.  He knew enough to clap at the right times and get excited when there was a hit.  He was fearless when the team mascot took his hat and played with it. 

After the game he faced the tall tough players who were signing autographs.  He yelled at the top of his little voice, “Thank you Glovers.”  I saw tired sweaty men who had played and won a tough game become little boys for just a moment as they met his gaze.  One of them, bearded, gruff, and swarthy bent over to Orion’s height.  He smiled at the boy and said, “thank you little man.”

I was informed today that Orion wants to play baseball when he grows up.  His father, my eldest Son told me with a smile on his face.  Just for a moment was transported back to my Grandfather and his love of baseball.  He would be proud that his legacy has taken root in a fifth generation.

The most precious moment and Christ like for me was at the end of the evening.  Orion looks at me a smiles his innocent intelligent smile.  “Grandpa, this was lots of fun but we have to go home.  My dad misses me.”  I love baseball.  The glovers are amazing when they play a boy’s game at such an amazing level.  I love this life and know that I have not reached the seventh inning stretch just yet.  I do, however, long to get home to the Father when the game is done.  I know he misses me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment