01 February 2012

Anatomy of the Journey – The Map


Greetings Dear Reader,

I used to regularly journey with a friend in Florida.  We traveled most of the state on our motorcycles enjoying the richness and beauty of that place.  From the deep blue beauty of Ichetucknee Springs, to the white sands of Panama City, and the old world feel of Big Pine Key I enjoyed every moment of those voyages.

My friend Steve had an odd habit.  Even though he knew the way to all our ventures and I was following him, when we would set out he would give me a detailed map of the route.  I knew that Steve knew the way and that I did not need the map.  He provided it just the same.  It was a labor of love.  He wanted to me to have a guide should I somehow lose sight of him.  From time to time we would get separated and I would always find him waiting at the next appointed stop.

The journey is a following.  It is one of character, obedience, and self-denial.  It is one of love, grace, mercy, and joy.  There is wonder and awe to be had.  It is also, and very importantly one of faith.  Since we follow one we cannot see, we must have a map.  I realize that some of you find it quaint that I still embrace the Bible and its words but it is our map.

I know that many, even some close to me have rejected the veracity of the Bible.  I have not.  I think that this is part of the problem with following a God who chooses to be a little elusive.  So many try to reason their way to a God who demands that we find him by faith.  The path is narrow but we have a map.  The very nature of a map requires faith.  It requires that I believe in the one who gave it to us.  It requires that I study the map and by faith see the heart of its maker.  It requires that I follow it and when I doubt that I do so in faith.

When I feel lost I consult the map.  When I am unsure of where to head next I consult the map.  When there is fog I rely on the known signposts of faith.  When I am weary I remind myself of the rest stops marked along the way.  I remember to look for the beautiful sights promised on the map.  Most of all, I remember that it points me toward my destination and the words of my fellow traveler,   “Remember that I am with you, even to the end of the journey.”

You see, we forget I think that this map is not just a directional tool.  It is a treasure map.  It is a promise of all that we truly need at the end of the journey.  There is joy to be had in abundance if we will only stick to the path.


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment