27 February 2012

Rules of Engagement – If it Ain’t Broken it won’t Work


Greetings Dear Reader,

We have all heard the expression “If it broke don’t fix it.”  This is mostly true.  There are things that must be broken for them to be of use.  Eggs are useless as food unless the shell is broken. One must break the seal on some things in order to use what is inside.  Our hearts must be broken for us to be of any use to God.

In the effort to engage with God we must allow for brokenness or there will be no positive engagement.  No matter how much I wish it to be different I am the one in need.  I am the one who has sinned.  I am the one who must approach God for the mending of my fallen nature.  I am the one who is lost without God’s love and grace.

Pride is the enemy of engagement with God.  Everything I think of that would lead me to not needing God at every moment stems from a heart filled with pride and arrogance.  God allows the natural consequences of our sin to show us our need for him.  When I think that I can act independent of God and his provision for my needs then I disengage with him.  When I act independently I am not following. 

When I am not following I am hardening my heart.  My heart must be broken before it will beat properly before God.  The softer my heart to this truth then the easier the breaking.  Hard things shatter when broken.  God is not satisfied with some of us.  He wants it all.  Since he is only reclaiming what is already his it is foolish for me to wish otherwise.  I will not work properly until my heart is broken before God.  Only then can I engage with him and love him with all my heart, soul, and mind.  Only through this brokenness can I love my neighbors and my enemies.  My heart cannot be God’s unless I give it to him in pieces so that he can mend it to his will.

The alabaster case of oil is open,
Washing the feet of Jesus
The sweet perfume is poured
I am like that cask I must be broken
So from my heart can pour
A life unto my Lord

Father brake me
Take me through the fire
Father hold me, mold me
Just as you desire

I am just a cup to overflow your will
I know I must be empty to be filled – Terry Talbot

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment