24 February 2012

Rules of Engagement – Charity is not an Option




Greetings Dear Reader,

As I was pondering how I measure my faithfulness in following Christ I thought about how much it matters that I personally am involved in caring for the needs of others.  I often wonder how it became common for Christ followers to put charity off on the government.

I am to reflect Christ through my love for others.  One of those ways of reflecting is through generosity.  When I am generous I create an opportunity for others to see the love of Christ.  Somehow, though direct care for the poor has been relegated to the government.  Most social issues that are my responsibility are governed and regulated by anything other than the church.

I do not wish this to be seen as me saying that any religion or sect is responsible for the humanitarian needs of society.  I am responsible.  I do, however, think that we equate charity with a political philosophy instead of a primary obligation of Christ followers.  I think that we focus on too many things that do not matter in place of requiring that the body of followers step up to the call of Christ to care for others.

The poor, the homeless, single parents, unwanted pregnancies, and any type of oppression or social injustice are MY responsibility.  If Christ followers collectively acknowledge this and act on it then perhaps the church could reclaim its credibility.  No matter how much any other arm of society does to help in these social issues I am not freed from my obligation as a Christ follower.  If I am not involved in this then I am not following Christ.  If the church I attend does not involve itself in these issues then I must not support it with my resources.  If I have any hope of being assured that my claims about Christ have any credibility I must first show his love by living out his commands.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment