17 March 2012

Valleys of Death – My Cup Overflows


Greetings Dear Reader,

I am writing this last installment over the two days I will journey home.  I begin it in a Cracker Barrel.  This is a part of the bookend of my journeys south.  I love the food and the fond memories of stopping at this restaurant on my way to summer camp.

Today I return to the place where my children and Grandson live.  I hope by tomorrow to see them all.  As I emerge from the south I hope to shed the sadness that enshrouds me along with the oppressive humidity that is the nature of my birthplace.

There has been joy in the journey.  I got to see most of my family.  I got to see a sister I have not seen since she was an infant.  I got to meet others who are already dear to me.  I had dinner with family and spent time with other siblings that I love.  I still have some time to recoup before I move on to other things.

I saw some beautiful things on my journey.  The mountains yielded a loveliness that cannot be found elsewhere.  The falls at Toccoa remain beautiful and amazing.  The drive through Illinois remains boring and endless.  It gives me much time to think as Christmas sleeps whilst I drive.

I am now home and a little rested.  I was able to bring good gifts for my children and Grandson.  We all had dinner together last night.  It was a beautiful and joyous time.  My second Grandson kindly waited for my return to emerge from the womb.  His arrival is the next big thing on the agenda.

The shadows of my journey still linger and the joys of it will remain.  I still love the living and am properly mourning the dead.  The key is that Christ was there in all of it.  His comfort and peace keep settling my troubled heart.  The shadows to the Valley of Death still cling to me like cob webs but the Light is there and I need only to continue to allow him to journey me.

As a final thought on how Christ prepared the way before me I consider this:  I started writing about this as an allusion to the 23rd Psalm before I left.  When I visited the church where my Brother ministers they were doing an all-day meditation on that very Psalm.  I got to hear music about and meditate on the very words that my journey revolved around.  I will leave you with them.

A psalm by David: The LORD is my shepherd. I am never in need.
He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside peaceful waters.
He renews my soul. He guides me along the paths of righteousness for the sake of his name.  Even though I walk through the dark valley of death, because you are with me, I fear no harm. Your rod and your staff give me courage.  You prepare a banquet for me while my enemies watch. You anoint my head with oil. My cup overflows.  Certainly, goodness and mercy will stay close to me all the days of my life, and I will remain in the LORD'S house for days without end.  


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."



No comments:

Post a Comment