08 March 2012

Valleys of Death – Those Slipping Away


Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently a friend of mine lost his father.  As his father was in and out of the hospital my friend came to me overwhelmed with grief.  His father was in and out of lucidity.  When his father was coherent he was sad and barely communicative. 

My friend was so sad he could barely speak.  Inwardly I sought for a way to comfort him and more, a way to give him some peace in this part of the journey.  I think one of the greatest things we can do for someone is to give them peace in their pain. 

I suggested to my friend that when his dad was lucid he bring of things that he knew his dad would remember from when my friend was younger.  He did this and they had a few days of great conversation.  His father passed and he grieves deeply but he carries the knowledge that he made that passing less painful and more peaceful.

I think that like everything else if we focus on the one in need of peace we can make a difference.  We are in pain as we lose someone.  We are also in the place where we have a final opportunity to think of others before we think of ourselves.  It is simple truth that when we put another person first it benefits both parties. 

Since death is unavoidable we must find a way to walk that path with others so they are not alone.  We must bring with us the desire to comfort and ease.  Where there is life there is the chance to infuse love and grace.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


No comments:

Post a Comment