03 April 2012

Holy Week 2012 – Tuesday: The Ten Virgins


Greetings Dear Reader,

Mark 14:1-9
Another set of tales that are in contrast as we think through holy week are the anointing of Jesus in Bethany and the Parable of the Ten Virgins.  Jesus made it clear that the anointing was a preparation for his death.  The parable is message of preparation and hope.  As Christ moves toward the cross he reminds us to be aware that he is going away but that we must be vigilant regarding his return.

As I prepare my heart for celebration of the resurrection I examine my attention to the return of Christ.  I work on my attitude so that I always allow for the possibility that Christ’s return in imminent.

Matthew 25:1-13
I realized some years ago that I would only think about Christ retuning when in crisis.  I began to intentionally ponder Christ’s return when things were beautiful.  With Spring and life bursting all around me it is a good time to wonder how much more beautiful things will be when Christ makes all things new.  Anticipating his return is not just a wish for the removal of evil from the world.  It is the realization that he will make all things good again.

The betrayal, the beatings, and the death all get us to the place where we are allowed access to the life.  Christ the bridegroom will return for us.  I cannot imagine how I would continue without that hope. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment