22 April 2012

No Compromise – The Bible


Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that this book has woven in and out of popularity over the centuries.  I realize that there are individuals on both sides of the argument over its validity who are educated and intelligent.  The world and individuals weigh in and give opinions.  The problem with the whole argument is its premise.

I will never say anything against sound reason and good thought.  The premise that concerns me is that we think we give the Bible authority.  That is arrogant and misinformed.  The Bible has authority because God gave it authority.  This is true in the same light that God exists whether I believe in him or not. 

I acknowledge that many have used the Bible to their own ends and this has hurt many people.  This is wrong but does not invalidate the Bible.  So many condemn it that have not even read it all the way through.  This too is wrong.  The Bible has power and authority because it is reasonable. 

It is reasonable and I do not get to assign its authority.  I cannot compromise on this.  This does not mean that I do not approach it with humility and honesty.  It is not for me to thump at people or batter them.  It is for me to see who I am in my following of Christ.  It is for me to measure my actions in light of God’s commands concerning love, grace, and mercy.  It is a weapon for me to fight my selfish fallen nature.  In that arena it can cut asunder my attempts to justify things I should not.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment