30 August 2012

An Aside - An Awaited Moment in Time


Greetings Dear Reader,

As a lifelong teacher I have harbored a dream that teachers harbor.   That is the dream of one day having one of my students become a teacher that works with you.   Teachers and I mean real teachers long to find their own kind and nurture them into the profession.  We understand the value of learning.  We get how the right investment of knowledge and confidence into a student can change a life.   We realize that very few people get the actual value of what we do.  When we see someone with that potential who loves our area of teaching we want to invest ourselves in them.

The whole reason I accepted a leadership role in academics is because I love mentoring other teachers.  I love helping them become better at their craft.  I love drawing the greatness out of them.  I also stand guardian over the quality of education.  I stand sentinel over the trust bond that must exist between student, teacher, and material.  I only want quality teachers entrusted to my students.

So I pass on a sacred legacy.  An academic leader entrusted a classroom to me once.  He allowed me to teach a class during my graduate program as part of my course requirements.  He guided me in becoming a good teacher.  He taught the arcane mysteries that have nothing to do with text books and lesson plans.  Now I get to pass this on to another.

Yesterday I began the process of hiring a student who graduated from my program as a teacher.  The Dean and Campus Director heartily approved.  All my colleagues were impressed with the young man.  This coming quarter I will get to birth a new teacher.  The fall quarter crisp with chilling air and new potential will arrive with a new man teaching new students how to become great.  This is why I do the work I do.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment