17 August 2012

Not Optional


Greetings Dear Reader,

I wonder how often I consider how many things in my life are a choice?  I choose to do the things I do.  No one conscripts me.  The obligations I have are ones that I have chosen to take on as obligations.  When I ponder it and am honest almost everything about my life is a choice or the result of other choices I have made.

I know that I have so many options throughout my day.  When I stop at the Servo for coffee there are eight choices.  For that matter I pass dozens of other Servos before I stop at the one I do.  I have a list of diners that I frequent.  There are eleven movies showing at my favorite cinema. 

So many things in my life are optional.  It should not surprise me that people view God as optional.  I do not wish to indicate that he does not give us free will in accepting him and following his design for the world.  We are free to choose which in itself is a point in his favor.  As with the other choices we have though there are consequences.

As I said previously we are designed by God to run on God.  Petrol is not optional for my car.  God is not optional for my existence.  He is necessary.  When we try to run without God we are unsuccessful.   I may get through a day with acknowledging God’s place in it but I cannot go long without him.

Perhaps people who use trials and pains to wander away from God think they will find something better.  Perhaps I should try to get my car to run on bleach as it is still .99 cents a gallon.  What I am trying to say is that we view God as optional when he is sovereign over everything.  He gives freedom to choose how we will deal with him but not the freedom to dismiss his necessity and be in the right.

God is a necessity and we will ultimately find this to be true.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment