07 March 2013

Thirty Day Challenge – Day Seventeen - Pride

Greetings Dear Reader,

“Father, please show me my sin.”

My problem with pride is a complex one.  It is not a “Look at me I am better than you” pride.  It is a subtle quiet pride where I sit quietly and ponder how good I did.  It is a desire to be seen by others and have them think well of me but not a make a big deal of it.  The only desire I should have is for others to see Christ and his love for them.

I want someone to quietly praise me instead of being satisfied with the good favor of God because I have done right.  I often ruin moments of humble success by thinking how well I just did.  When I am humble out of pride it is false humility.  I know the difference and so does God even when those around me do not.

I want to be humble.  I want to do things for the sake of doing the right thing.  Pride assails me at every turn.  It is such a narrow slice between serving others for the sake of Christ and doing it so I feel good about me.  The difference though is vast. 

There is also the iron aspect of my pride. When I “know” that I am right about something there is no moving me.  I have chosen of late to fight this by saying little when there are controversial topics in the air.  I ponder what I think and how I can live out what is right without the need to argue and dominate.  I can see so clearly the imperfections in others whilst being blind to my own. 

My heart needs to be set free from the need for recognition and being right.  I want to be someone whose life betters the community.  It is odd than when I do this well I am criticized for it and my pride kicks in again.  Jesus showed real humility and never acted in pride.  I must continue to study him, love him, and follow him.  I must take up the basin, the towel, and the cross.


And the call is to community,

In an upstairs room, a parable
is just about to come alive.
And while they bicker about who's best,
with a painful glance, He'll silently rise.

Their Savior Servant must show them how
through the will of the water
and the tenderness of the towel.

And the call is to community,
The impoverished power that sets the soul free.
In humility, to take the vow,
that day after day we must take up the basin and the towel.

In any ordinary place,
on any ordinary day,
the parable can live again
when one will kneel and one will yield.

Our Saviour Servant must show us how
through the will of the water
and the tenderness of the towel.

And the space between ourselves sometimes
is more than the distance between the stars.
By the fragile bridge of the Servant's bow
we take up the basin and the towel

And the call is to community,
The impoverished power that sets the soul free.
In humility, to take the vow,
that day after day we must take up the basin and the towel.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment