28 March 2013

We Paid for the Party with our Dearest Blood – Wine and Bread

Greetings Dear Reader,

When the smell of baking bread fills my home it changes me.  I hunger for it even if I am not hungry.  The right wine fills me with joy even on the first glass.  We remember today that Jesus sits at supper with his closest friends.  He prays for them.  He explains what is to happen.

His friends are about to abandon him.  One will hand him over to those who will kill him.  Peter will deny
knowing him.  The import of what he does with the bread and wine is often the focus of our remembering our sin and its forgiveness.  What I see is that once again my Redeemer is making a sacrifice for me.

In the midst of assuring his friends that they will survive his death he goes a step further.  He sets aside the bread and wine as things he will give up until he can again dine with his friends in the redeemed world.  Whilst facing the abandonment, the beatings, and the cross he still is giving up things for us.  He is still focused on the day when he shares these things with me.

He will weep over the world whilst his followers sleep.  He will go to prayer and be arrested.  He will go willingly and his tormentors will think they power over him.  He will give up his life and they will think they have killed him.  He will rise.  In this moment, however, he is looking past all of that to a day when we all gather to celebrate that final atonement for our sin; for my sin.

Bread and wine mean so much in life.  I think we miss out when we focus on only the washing of the feet and the drama of the last supper.  I need to see that Christ was about to deny what he enjoyed so that he could take up his cross.  Christ has denied himself these things until he shares them with me.  What do I indulge in that can wait until things are redeemed?  What do I need to die to in order to be more like Christ?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment