09 July 2015

Great Expectations - A Pause to Respond – Part Two

Greetings Dear Reader,

If one has read the excellent novel The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis one can grasp the seed bed of my further thinking.  If we accept that there are those in torment (I am not saying yea or nay on this), then we can surmise a few things about them.

The first would be that they now believe.  They have had the ultimate show me experience.  What captured my imagination is that the people in the book have the option to stay in heaven when they are allowed to visit.  It made me wonder who would not choose to stay given the opportunity.  What is more I cannot find anything precluding God from giving that opportunity. 

Please remember that all of this is precluded on my simple thoughts and questions.  I want to develop a polemic here and please let me know if it sticks.  Actually there are a couple that I would posit.  They assume that you believe the Bible so feel free to provide analysis from that perspective.

The first is quite simple:

Major Premise:  Jesus is the all-powerful, all-knowing, God of the universe.
Minor Premise:  Jesus said he will draw all humans unto himself.
Conclusion:       Eventually all humans will be drawn to Jesus.

I will define some terms for clarity.  First the word draw here is a term that compels people.  It is that he will compel all humans to come to him.  Second since Jesus is omniscient he knows the outcome of this action.  He only ever said the Hell was prepared for the devil and his angels. 

The second polemic is this:

Major Premise:  God clearly states that he will eventually work his will with all humans.
Minor Premise:  God’s will is that no one should perish.
Conclusion:       Eventually all humans will be redeemed from perishing.

Again at least one term needs defining here.  Perish means to be eternally dead.  It is the same word that Jesus uses when he tells Nicodemus that God loved the world to the extent that he sent his only Son so that belief in him would prevent perishing. 

I am not great at many things but I am passable at reasoning.  I do not find it reasonable that an omnipotent loving God could not find a way to draw all men back to his love and protection.  His nature when dealing with our relationship is to find a way.   His reputation is to sacrifice all to make it so. 

If we approach the teachings of Jesus without any filters it seems that this is his intent.  He came to seek and to save that which his Father, God had lost.  I will address your other comment tomorrow Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment