13 July 2015

Great Expectations – Projected Expectations

Greetings Dear Reader,

When we project the expectations of God onto others it is very detrimental to our ability to represent Christ well.  When we demand that others live by our morals and values we neglect their needs.  According to our own teachings we admit that they do not have all the necessary tools to do this.

The Ten Commandments are revealed to be a school master to show us that we are imperfect.  All of the New Testament writers directed their teachings toward those who had both the understanding of Jesus teachings and the influence of the Holy Spirit.   If we truly believe that those outside of our faith lack the necessary tools to follow our faith then we must not place unjust expectations on them.

The other danger is that these expectations lead to judgments that prevent us from obeying Christ’s commands to care for them.  We are required to see the needs of others and not judge them.  We are bound to be compassionate and kind.  Instead we require others to live up to standards that we struggle to meet. 

Our judgment becomes a pass to neglect.  This eats away at the essence of who we are to be as Christ followers.  We protest and judge instead of setting the example and serving.   We demand that society conform to our standards instead of seeing that the needs of others are met no matter what the cost to us.

If I project my morals and values onto others I ask them to live an impossible life.  My own faith informs me that those outside of Christ lack what is necessary to live the life I am commanded to live.  Expecting Christ-like behavior from those who do not follow Christ is foolish. 

The expectation is that I will be an example of love and compassion.  If I spend my energy doing that then I will not have time to judge and condemn others.  I have enough to do to maintain the right attitudes and actions in my life.  I think if all Christ followers concentrated on their own faith and following the impact would be much greater.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment