04 July 2015

Second Thoughts – The Best 90 Seconds in Baseball

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

If you read regularly Dear Reader you know that I love baseball.  Last night was the best moment in all the thousands of hours I have spent in and around baseball.  I have pitched a no hitter.  I saw Henry Aaron break Babe Ruth’s home run record.  I saw the game played 30 years ago today between the Braves and the Mets that lasted 19 innings and still had post game fireworks at four in the morning.

I saw my Braves dominate the National League in the 1990’s.  I have witnessed a perfect game.  I love baseball.  From the ceremonial “first pitch” to the National Anthem to the seventh inning stretch I have a lifelong love of this amazing past time. 

If all my baseball memories were to fade into nothing and I could retain only ninety seconds of it I would choose them from last night’s game.  I watched our local Madison Mallards play and win against Wisconsin Woodchucks.  It is pure sweet baseball.  There were fireworks scheduled after this game as well.

The game was going by too fast.  We could not have fireworks until dark (scheduled by the universe for 9:20 local time).  At 6:40 we were already in the bottom of the sixth inning.  Fortunately for the wonderful people who manage the team and the events the game was tied at the end of regulation play.  My team won in the bottom of the twelfth 3-2. 

The highlight of this game and really for all of baseball was the seventh inning stretch.  My Grandson, Orion sang the classic “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.”  We have been planning for this moment since Christmas.  At four years old he captured the hearts of the fans of Duck and Chucks alike.

He was amazing.  His parents were proud.  His family cheered and the Mallards’ staff were very pleased.  My heart felt young.  My mind remembered the great baseball moments my Grandfather provided for me.  It is one of the things that drives me to create such moments for my Grandsons. 

It was a perfect night for baseball.  The temperature was mild.  The breeze was light.  The humidity was low and the mosquitoes could not get tickets.  The sun hung low in the sky as Orion sand.  The crowed for ninety seconds was united in the song that is one of the many great traditions of baseball.  Almost everyone followed the lead of this amazing four year old.  Then they cheered him.

If I could capture the unity of that moment I would instill it in all of the world.  The innocence of that boy loving baseball and singing could go far in helping us remember why our nation can be great.  That ninety seconds is what we protect.  The freedom to have a past time that is noble and a little magical is what we fight for.  I saw beauty and grace in that moment and it made me yearn to stretch the heart of it into eternity.  If we don’t find a way to become that moment, it is truly a shame.

Take Me Out to the Ball Game – Performed by Orion

Take me out to the ball game
Take me out with the crowd
Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks
I don't care if I never get back
Let me root, root, root
For the Mallards (home team)
If they don't win it's a shame
For it's one,
Two,
Three strikes you're out
At the old ball game

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment