20 July 2015

Setting Standards for Feelings - Fear

Greetings Dear Reader,

Once again, like anger fear has its place.  Fear protects us from danger.  It triggers our fight of flight response.  It gives us that small warning to be careful.  It can save our lives. 

There is healthy and unhealthy fear.  Fear in the form of healthy respect is a good thing.  We rarely use the word in this way.  It is still important.  We must have a healthy respect for things that can harm us.  We must have a healthy respect for those who rule over us.  That is good fear and it is not the way we use the word any more.

So many things about fear are unhealthy.  We indulge our fear and give it control.  We act badly because of fear.  We mistreat others out of fear.  When fear controls us we do not act rationally and we lose power.  We do not act lovingly when we act out of fear.

It is natural and understandable to feel fear.  It is always wrong to allow the fear to be in charge.  Fear kills our reason when we give it control.  It feeds our greed.  It propels us to be selfish and unloving. 

If I am to properly follow Christ then I must not allow fear to control me.  I must face fear with the filter of my protection in Christ.  He has promised to meet my needs and care for me.  I cannot allow fear to keep from that.  I must hold out the standard that fear will not control me.  I will give it a proper place in my existence and will use it to see danger.  I will heed its warnings but think through my responses.

Fear has a place in the journey.  That place is not as the leader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



No comments:

Post a Comment