25 October 2015

I’m a Soul Man – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

It is not unusual that we focus on the wrong things.   It is not even uncommon.  If we ponder that then we see that it runs deep in us.  We worry more about our lattes than we do the homeless.  We mourn over football scores instead of healthcare.  We argue over politics instead of changing the world.

We exercise the body and ignore the soul.  C.S. Lewis said, “You don’t have a soul.  You are a soul.  You have a body.”  Our focus on what we build, nourish, and tend is so very out of balance.  An eternal soul traveling through this weigh station called life matters. 

Jesus came to redeem the souls of all humans.  He wanted to rescue us from the malady that separates us from God.  As we approach All Souls Day I want to assure that I am nourishing mine.  It is interesting to see the seeming contradictions between what is good for the soul and what we do.

Walk with me a bit whilst I prepare for All Souls, All Saints, Thanksgiving, and Advent.  Perhaps we can establish a routine that is not routine to nourish that which lasts beyond this mortal coil.  

Jesus Lover of my Soul – Michael Card

Jesus, lover of my soul
Let me to Thy bosom fly
While the nearer waters roll
While the tempest still is high
Hide me, O my Savior, hide
Till the storm of life is past
Safe into the haven guide
O receive my soul at last

Other refuge have I none
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee
Leave, oh! leave me not alone
Still support and comfort me
All my trust in Thee is stayed
All my help from Thee I bring
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of Thy wing

Thou, O Christ, art all I want
More than all in Thee I find
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint
Heal the sick, and lead the blind
Just and holy is Thy Name
I am all unrighteousness
False and full of sin am I
Thou art full of truth and grace

Plenteous grace with Thee is found
Grace to cover all my sin
Let the healing streams abound
Make and keep me pure within
Thou of life the fountain art
Freely let me drink of Thee
Spring Thou up within my heart
Rise to all eternity

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment