27 February 2016

If I Told You My Story – Assurances

Greetings Dear Reader,

We engage in so many things to assure that things will be the way we wish.  We make promises, sign contracts, and take vows.  We give our word.  We enter into quid pro quo agreements.

We enter into “if/then” arrangements promising to do our part if someone else does his or her part.  We even falsely treat marriage as a fifty/fifty arrangement.  In marriage we take one way vows. We give assurances that we will stay faithful to the bond no matter what.  We make an unconditional vow.

If I told you my story it would be of the Father’s unconditional vow.  He has redeemed me from the penalty of my sin because of what his Son, Jesus did for me.  Jesus assures us that all that the Father gives him he will neither lose nor throw away.  By all he means us.   Just like the Father did with Abraham in the Old Testament Jesus makes a one way vow to us. 

The story of redemption is one of a Creator coming to redeem that which he has lost.  He even uses the metaphor of the bridegroom coming to find his bride.  He uses this to show his singular commitment to our reclamation.  He would rather die than live without us.

My story is one of failure and restoration.   I failed and the Father provided a way for me to find redemption.  I, like every other human, is the reason that the Father sent the Son.  All he asks is that I accept his gift.  He assures me that all will unfold as it should and he would like me to be a part of it. 

This is a story that spans all of human history.  The Father assures us that he will bring us home.  Jesus comes to lead us there and asks that we follow in faith.  He loves us and wants us to have all that he has for us.  He wants us to love each other on the journey. 

I spoke with a dear friend yesterday who reminded me just how much baggage we try to pack into that journey.  We add tasks, obstacles, and burdens to the journey that have nothing to do with the Father’s plan for redemption.  We require tasks that “assure” us that we have God’s favor when he offers it freely.  We demand that others observe certain rituals when the Father only wants us to love him. 

My story is one of unconditional positive regard from a Creator who loves me.  How about your Dear Reader?  Have you really pondered how much the Father assures you of his love no matter where you are?  I would love to hear that story.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment