05 February 2016

Loving My Enemies – Extreme Condition Two

Greetings Dear Reader,

The second extreme condition is that we are to do good to those that hate us.   I know that here are people that hate me.  They are few but they exist.   I have a philosophy for this but before I get to that I would unpack what “do good”: means in this context and what hatred is as well.

First let us look at what Jesus means to do good:

1) of good constitution or nature
2) useful, salutary
3) good, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, happy
4) excellent, distinguished
5) upright, honourable

Once again we must notice that this is not just holding the door for someone.  Our makeup must be geared toward doing what is good toward those who hate us.  We must be pleasant, agreeable, useful, joyful, and happy toward them.  We must act in an upright and honourable way toward them.  We even have to say hello.  We cannot ignore them. 

So how do we identify those who hate us?  This is usually quite easy.  The word used here refers to both those who pursue us with loathing and those who detest us from afar.  It is the active nature of loving our enemies that we must encompass hatred in good.

Jesus makes it clear that my offerings to the Father are not as important as peace with those who hate me.   I must actively be good to those who hate me.  I must see their needs and meet them where I can.  The barrier of hatred cannot withstand the type of love that Christ commands.

My Grandfather, when I would speak of those who disliked me would quote the following.  If I make it a life pattern it truly does work. 

He drew a circle that shut me out-
Heretic , rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle and took him in. – Edwin Markham 

How about you Dear Reader?  I know that I must do whatever it takes to do good to my enemies.   Do you have any thoughts on making this practical?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/2/16 03:47

    I think the word "hate" is one of the strongest words in the English language. It takes an enormous amount of effort and passion. I secretly admire people that can hate, even though I may feel their effort is misguided. Personally, I find that sometimes I must forgive haters before I can bring them into my circle with love.

    ReplyDelete