22 March 2016

Holy Week 2016 - The Cost of the Day – Nard and First Stones

Greetings Dear Reader,

Jesus is dining with a wealthy man who ignores custom and gives insult by doing so.  A woman comes with expensive perfume and washes Jesus’ feet with it and her tears of redemption.  The wealthy man judges her and he judges Jesus for allowing her.

The cost of the day is realization that pride and position has nothing to do with following Christ.  It was the woman whom Christ honored.  It was the rich man whose insult and neglect is recorded for all time. 

The cost of the day is that a bit of propriety dies whilst a woman prepares Jesus for death and burial.  The redemption story unfolds in front of people who ignore it for their own puerile interests.

As the day unfolds Jesus will withdraw and teach.  As the day ends he will prepare for the Passover meal and what is to come after it.  The lesson we need in pride and pretense has been taught.  Woman of dire need and hard circumstance are forever told that there is a Man; a God-man who accepts them and will not treat them with disrespect.

He translates the cost of the day to us all.  I can follow him knowing that he loves me in the way he loves the woman washing him with her tears.  I can know that he loves the foolish rich man as well.  He longs for us all to love him and each other.  

You see he feels both of their pain.  He feels all of our pain.  The cost of the day for him is the many facets of our sin revealed at the dinner table.  Another meal will reveal even more.


The alabaster case of oil is open
And washing the feet of Jesus
The sweet perfume is poured
I am like the cask I must be broken
So from my life can pour
A life unto my Lord

Father break me
Take me through the fire
Father hold me, mold me
Just as you desire
I am just a cup to overflow your will
But first I must be empty to be filled

I saw myself as only drifting
Lost upon the waters
Sinking like a stone
Then your tide washed around me
I was lifted
If I follow the morning star
I’ll be sailing home

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment