08 March 2016

Better Than A Hallelujah Sometimes – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I was thinking yesterday about the picture I put with my blog.   It was a heart carved out of pink quartz.  It was beautiful but it was still a heart of stone.  As I turn my heart and thoughts to holy week one of the things I am thankful for is that my heart is not hard.

I remember a time when it was and have no desire to return there.  The difficulty is that my hard heart is no longer that way because it was broken.  I have a positive outlook but I am also filled with sadness.  I am a man of hope and love but also constant sorrow. 

Sometimes my praise comes from a cold and broken place.  It is not cold because it lacks passion but rather because of the cold associated with loneliness.  That is not my point here but it is pertinent to the thought.   Before I get to the revels associated with the resurrection I want to pay attention to the grief and sorrow that make it possible.

We want to praise and worship but sometimes I am put in the place of sorrow so that I remember why I worship.  The resurrection requires the death.  The joy requires the sorrow.  No matter how good my life is there is a place of constant pain over sin and loss.  There is a damp spot in the corner of my eye.  There is always a corner to my smile.

There can be just as much faith in our broken cries of pain and sorrow.  I need to consider this for a space as I journey toward Holy Week.  Walk with me Dear Reader.  I could use your company.  Your thoughts are always welcome.


God loves a lullaby
In a mother's tears in the dead of night
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes

God loves the drunkard's cry
The soldier's plea not to let him die
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

The woman holding on for life
The dying man giving up the fight
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes

The tears of shame for what's been done
The silence when the words won't come
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

Better than a church bell ringing
Better than a choir singing out, singing out

We pour out out miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

(Better than a Hallelujah sometimes)
Better than a Hallelujah
(Better than a Hallelujah sometimes)

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



No comments:

Post a Comment